Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, To the doctors we will go.

As the title says, off to the doctors today, woke up this morning and decided that I needed to phone the doctor to get in and have my chest checked out, have been a bit congested the last couple of mornings so following the advice of my Consultant Dr Gibb , I  contacted the GP to have it checked out. Went to Doctors at 12-30 , Pauline took me and I saw Doctor Richbell, everything checked out Ok ,ie Chest, Blood Pressure, Temperature, Pulse  etc, so as I thought it is to do with the Acid Reflux that is being produced by this "Cup and Spill stomach " that I have apparently got.

For those that Don,t Know as well as being diagnosed with Dermatomyositis, I also have a twisted stomach ( Cup and Spill ) which was Diagnosed after an Endoscopy  in Dec 2010, so this further complicates my Muscle condition.
With a cup and spill stomach, acid reflux is a common problem, it is where the stomach produces excess acid to digest food and excess acid finds its way up the oesophagus into the throat and chest cavity, this also has a bearing on my ability to swallow as the pressure of the Reflux, is greater than the pressure of the food entering the stomach. ( You live and learn on this blog folks )

Back home now and all is OK with the world, another good thing to happen is that I can now Whistle again ( not for long periods though ). I lost the ability to whistle a tune last october, this was when I first started to have swallowing problems and was the onset of this condition I have, however yesterday I found that I can start to whistle again, I have no idea why I tried to whistle, just that it seemed a good idea at the time.
All those that worked with me at B&Q know how irritating it was to be working near me as all i did all day at work was Whistle and take the piss out of the so called managers. anyway I can now whistle again so something must be happening to the muscles in the region of the throat, as my speech has also got a lot better.

Breathing is easier today as the weather seem,s to be cooling down a bit and the rain seems to have cleared the humidity.

Spoke to my cousin Mike on the phone last night, had not spoken for a couple of weeks, so nice to catch up with him, hopefully Pat or Eileen in Fareham will arrange a get together sometime before the summers over so all the family can meet up again.

New Benchmark reached today : [ Not a big thing for most people but a giant step for me. I have just eaten 2 Rich Tea Biscuits, without Dunking or drinking between bites to wash it down, the first time I have actually managed to eat solids for a long time, so the benchmark has been set.] 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Frank!!!! Whistling and eating biscuits, got to be a day to be chalked up. A family get together would be a good idea although, on my part, it would be easier for me if it was after Jo and Dave's wedding on 13th August as I am a bit 'up to my neck' in things at the moment!

    ReplyDelete