Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shopping for a puree diet.

Hi there folks, another bright Saturday here on the South coast of the UK. The sun is shining and although the wind is a little breezy, it is a very nice day. Woke about 5.30 this morning had a coffee and fell asleep again until 7. 45, so a good start to the day. Spoke with Pauline this morning and her and Gordon are going to come today and take me in the wheel chair to Asda, at Fratton to do some serious food shopping.

I have found that  the swallowing problem (Dysphagia) has got marginally better over the past week, I am still unable to swallow solids so am stuck at the moment with the puree diet, so it is a case of trying to find items that can be pureed but still give me the nutrients that I need and also the taste and some texture.

In the early stages of the puree diet the things I found easiest to puree was cauliflower Cheese ready meal, and also pasta but as I have progressed so I have tried other items, some worked, others did not but it has been fun trying.

Ready meals are always a good start for a puree diet, I have found the chicken Hotpot,s very successful, along with Chicken Korma and Bangers and Mash. I have also tried steaming vegetable like Sweet Potato, Broccoli, Swede, Carrot and Cauliflower, and mashing them down, Salmon and Plaice are Good fish to Puree.

in the tinned food,s I found that Chicken in white sauce and tinned Hot Pot puree down very well as do a variety of tinned curry's, and also big soups.

Cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup are ideal for adding to ready meals to make them easier to puree and the Bisto cheese sauce and white sauce go well with vegetables and are economical to use.

Deserts are easier as Yogurts, and custards are easy to swallow along with fruit puree and cream, so you can see that although I am confined to a puree diet it is not all doom and gloom and I do get a variety of tastes along the way, take today for Example:

Breakfast : 40gm Puree Porridge with Jam. Orange Juice, Coffee.

Mid Morning : Yogurt. Fesubin Build up Drink, Coffee

Lunch : Cream of Chicken Soup ,  Chicken in white sauce with Cauliflower Cheese,  Strawberry Custard, Coffee

Mid Afternoon : Fresubin Build up Drink,  Coffee, Malted Milk Biscuits.

Tea : Vegatable Soup,  Creamed Rice with Jam, Coffee, Rich tea Biscuits.

Supper : Toffee Custard Pot, Horlicks or Ovaltine.

So as you can see not to bad a menu.

Well back home from Asda with this weeks supplies a couple of new ideas to try out so will let you know how I get on, time for a rest now as the muscles are starting to flare up a little bit, but not as badly as a few weeks ago so things are looking like they are moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment