Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011

And here we are in the last 10 hours leading up to the new year 2012. I will be glad to see the end of 2011 as in many ways it has been a traumatic year for me but in other ways it has had its moments.

2011 started with me being diagnosed as having a "twisted stomach" also known as a cup and spill stomach. the treatment prescribed by the GP was obviously not working and I was loosing a lot of weight, it was when my weight dropped to 8.5 stone from 13.5 stone that I managed to convince the GP that there were other issues with my health,

In April I was admitted to A&E after a fall where I was diagnosed with Dermatomyositis and the recovery started from there. as mentioned my weight at that point was 8.5 stone and I was on a feeding tube for 4 weeks, followed by a puree diet which I have only just come of off for a "Soft Lumps Diet.

Arron and Sarah holding me steady
for the Photograph



I attended my Nephews Arron,s wedding to Sarah at the end of may 1 week after being discharged from Hospital and it was one of the highlights of my year, it was so good to be back home, and it is thanks to my son Gervase and my good friends Pauline and Gordon that I managed to attend the ceremony. They made sure I was dressed and drove me there and pushed me in the wheelchair.



Gervase and leanne 2009


The next highlight was the Second anniversary of My son Gervase and Leanne,s Wedding they are a lovely couple and are doing so well in there lives, My late wife Chris would be so proud of Him.

By July I am having my Prednisolone tapered down and increasing the Methotrexate and am starting to put on a bit of weight.



Jodie and Dave Aug 2011
 I am also getting used to the 'Puree Diet and am looking forward to the Wedding of My Niece Jodie ( Arron,s sister) and her husband to be Dave. The problem is that they are getting married in kent  on the 13th August and I am not strong enough yet to travel there and back but am looking forward to seeing the Photograph,s, the rest of the family are going so they will keep me up to date via facebook.

Well I am still making progress and although I still have limited mobility I am feeling a lot better in my self. It is nearly a year since I first started to feel the weakness in my swallowing and I was diagnosed in November of 2010 with Dysphagia, a lot has happened since then.

Christine 1945 - 1993

On October the 4th it will be 17 years since my dear wife Christine passed away after fighting Breast Cancer for 8 years, and it is the memory of her courage that spurs me on to fight this Dermatomyositis.  Gervase was only 12 years old when Christine lost her fight and I know we both miss her very much and she is always in our thoughts.




Me November 2011
Well so here we are on the last day of 2011. Hopefully 2012 will be a better year for us all, I am now off of the Puree diet and have steadily been putting on weight and building up my strength, I still have a carer come in every morning to wash and groom me as  I still have some mobility problems but they are getting less,  most things I can do for myself. I have a good team of health professionals looking after me and my blood works seem to be improving I accept that there will be ups and downs on the Myositis Journey but hopefully we are moving in a positive direction. and I am now down to 10 mg of Prednisolone daily and 15 mg Methotrexate weekly on "Freaky Friday". I have tried to put some humour into my daily journal and will continue to do so next year as well as I find that writing this Journal helps me to put my life into perspective, it also keeps Family and friends  far and wide around the globe up to date with what is happening and I also know from feedback and emails that it helps other Myositis sufferers and puts a smile on a few face,s also I am now up to a weight of 10.5stone so that is 2 stone gained since the end of may.

So all that is left is to say Have a Happy New Year wherever you may be and I will be back again tomorrow with the normal Journal Format,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2 comments:

  1. I am proud to share a first name as such a lovely woman as your wife, she is beautiful.
    Rather ghastly year healthwise altho being diagnosed properly makes a huge difference. I think I just read that Dickens was from Portsmouth and bicentennial this year. I just reread Oliver Twist and Great Expectations, I think I had to read them in my early teens at school. This time on a beach in Cuba they seemed so short and an easy read!
    Why do we give kids books before they are ready for them and turn them off great writers?
    Happy New Year ,Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes that is Right Chris, Charles Dickens was living and working in Portsmouth, also Peter sellers lived in Portsmouth and also Arthur Conan Doyle ( who played in Goal for Portsmouth football club.).

    ReplyDelete